Friday, September 14, 2012

Works well when new

Reviews: Fiskars 9240 Telescoping Pruning Stik

I've used the Telescoping Pruning Stik for 5 months to maintain 5 25ft trees. The cutting head works well for 3/4" and thinner branches. Larger than that and the jaws often get stuck around the branch. Once while trying to free it, the plastic head came off of the aluminum pole, so now I know to rotate the entire pole around the branch instead of trying to pull it free. After freeing the jaws, I was able to reattach the head. The ball-shaped pull knob on the bottom end seats very tightly and often the entire end cap comes off while trying to free it. I think it would be easier to operate if it was a T-handle. Likewise, the upper grip would also be easier to operate if it had a lower lip or pistol grip for a more positive grip. Or replace them with some sort of lever actuator for more mechanical advantage.

For branches thicker than 3/4", I use the woodzig blade. The blade cuts on the pull stroke. The blade is tough to use on thinner, flexible branches, but works pretty quickly on thicker, stiffer branches. I haven't used the blade as much and time will tell how effective it will be as it dulls. I keep the clamp attached to the pole, but I've already lost the original screw and wing nut that holds the blade. I had attached them to the clamp for storage, but should've attached them to the blade.

While the Pruning Stik was excellent when new, all of the plastic parts seem to have loosened over time. While the pole seemed flexible when new, the looseness makes it feel even more flexible. However, nothing has broken yet and it has been much less expensive than hiring professionals to trim those same trees. If and when something does break, I will be contacting Fiskars about warranty service. I should've kept the original shipping box though as it's tough to find another box that long.

UPDATE: April 2006

Unfortunately, the clamp holding the telescoping section has continued to loosen, and tightening it with an allen wrench has been the only recourse. I carry the allen wrench in my pocket to make field adjustments. Otherwise the pole slides out with every pull while using the woodzig blade, which is very frustrating.

About a month ago while trimming a tree, I decided to use the jaws to cut a 3/4" branch. Nearly done cutting through, there was a loud snap and metallic "ting" sound. The movable jaw had snapped, oddly where the blade is widest. I attempted to contact Fiskars Customer Support from their Web form to see if I can simply return and replace the head but they never responded. That was somewhat disappointing.

I would have to downgrade my rating to 3 stars and recommend it for light, occasional home use. I would limit the jaws to thinner branches nowhere near the 1.25" claimed. Due to the high return shipping cost, I probably won't bother sending it back and keep using it for the woodzig alone. I will probably get another pole with a power cutting head like I should've bought originally.

UPDATE 6/21/2008: I still use this from time to time for the woodzig saw. I contacted Fiskars Customer Service again and they finally responded by sending me a replacement parts catalog. They sell a replacement blade but I thought that this item was warranted for life? I went ahead and removed the head from the pole and will try sending just the head to their warranty department.

No comments:

Post a Comment