Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Should've gotten one sooner

Reviews: Fiskars 9234 62-Inch Pruning Stik

I unfortunately have tendonitis in my elbows at the moment from doing too much pruning this spring with my regular 24-inch lopper (I'm only 42, for crying out loud). That tool will now see only limited use.
The Pruning Stick's action is smooth and it makes a very clean cut. The rotating head is great because instead of reaching out from a distance and fighting gravity for the correct angle, I can hold the shaft more vertically and just rotate the jaws. Using either the handle on the shaft or the ball at the end are both more natural movements than a regular lopper.

It's not a problem, but the head rotation axis is not what I had expected from the picture. If the tool was lying on the ground, it would be ready to cut a stick that was also lying on the ground, no matter how the jaws are rotated.

The only negative thing I would say is that there are serrations in the head that make it difficult to adjust the angle. There's a quick release lever to loosen the head up, but it doesn't move until you pry the two halves apart from each other. I suppose that without the serrations, it would need too much clamping pressure and crack the plastic. I'll probably have to group the cuts for a certain jaw orientation and rotate the head only every once in a while.

Great product.

No comments:

Post a Comment